Thursday 15 September 2011

Preview Post: THE PHANTOM

Next week we're going to be all over Simon Wincer's 1996 adaptation of The Phantom, so go ahead and whet your appetite for that film by watching some of the character's illustrious history...

The Phantom (1943 serial): Chapter 1

Here be the first screen incarnation of the ghost who walks... All of the subsequent chapters are on YouTube as well, if you've got several hours to kill!


The Phantom (1961): Unaired TV pilot

The quality of this unaired TV pilot is pretty abominable, but if you can get through it, you'll see some great actors of yesteryear, including Lon Chaney Jr. (The Wolf Man himself) and Paulette Goddard (of Chaplin's Modern Times and The Great Dictator). Stuntman Roger Creed plays The Phantom.



Defenders of the Earth: Opening Theme

In the mid-1980s, a cartoon teamed The Phantom up with Flash Gordon and Mandrake the Magician. I've never seen it, but this theme song is awesome. The run of the series is available on DVD in a single box set, which will run you less than $20 most places.


Phantom 2040: Opening Theme

In the mid-1990s, another animated series (this one set in the future, like Spider-Man Unlimited) featuring the adventures of the 24th incarnation of the Phantom debuted. Despite having a voice cast featuring the likes of Mark Hamill, Margot Kidder, Ron Perlman and Debbie Harry, the show only lasted 35 episodes.


The Phantom (2010): SyFy preview

Shortly after I moved to Montreal I heard rumblings about this movie/miniseries being filmed in my area. I still haven't seen it.


The Phantom (1996): Trailer

OK, it's true: I've never seen The Phantom. But after watching this trailer, boy howdy am I looking forward to it! Maybe it's because purple is my favourite colour, I don't know. What I do know is that I'm going to pretend that Treat Williams is playing Texas governor Rick Perry.

No comments:

Post a Comment